This system provides 24/7 continuous monitoring and analysis of select broadcasts. The set of monitored broadcasts is constrained by the number of tuners/demodulators in the system and by how well broadcasts are received. In general broadcasts originating from Sutro Tower, San Bruno Mountain, Mount Allison, and Monument Peak are received well at the monitor site in Mountain View, CA.
For more information regarding the monitoring system and the data it provides please see the About pages.
The spectrum repack reduces the frequences which are used for over-the-air television so they can be used for other services such as 5G wireless. As a result many stations will begin transmitting on a different frequency. In some cases they may also transmit from a new location. This is a nationwide change that is being conducted in phases – The San Francisco – Oakland – San Jose area is in Phase 9, with a few stations in Phase 8.
As described below, SF Bay Area viewers are already being affected by the work required to prepare for the repack.
Update February 9, 2020: Over the next week SFBayATSC will begin monitoring the phase 8 post-repack frequencies of select channels. In some cases, such as for RF 31 (KTVU 2’s post-repack frequency), the charts will show no data until the station begins testing. The list of monitored frequencies has been updated to show the pre-repack and post-repack channels.
- 20200208 18:00 – 00:30 – Maintenance – hardware upgrade.
- 20200214 – The primary monitor has been placed back in service.
- 20191116 – 20191124 – The primary monitor has been unstable due to an OS upgrade. Data for most channels have been populated from a backup system which has the same RF feed but may use different HDHomerun tuners (HDHR4 vs HDHR5). Statistics supplied by the tuner or demodulator, such as signal strength and symbol quality, may vary as a result.
- 20190823 00:30 – 11:00 – System upgrade
- 20190510 -12:00 PM – 11:00 PM – Due to networking issues which caused IP conflicts through much of SFBayATSC monitoring was unavailable during this period.
- 201811011 02:00 – 05:45 – System upgrade